Monday, July 23, 2012

dealing with bad directors


Sorry to say the vast majority of voiceover directors are not experienced with directing actors. You’ll get all kinds of crazy directions. “Can you be faster and slower?” ‘Can you sound more like President Rooney in “Ferris Beuhler?” “Can you be funny?” “This time do it with a Lithuanian accent.” Or the worst, “I don’t know, something isn’t working.” They’ve either got something in their head they don’t know how to communicate or they have nothing in their head and they’re scrambling. This is a pretty scary place to be.

So your job is to help release them. Yes,  ask them questions but they may not have any answers. I love it when actors say, “Can I try something?” My answer is, “Please! I’m lost! Figure it out for me!” Then go ahead and try something insane or subtle, anything that hasn’t been tried.

Or ask really simple questions to clarify direction. For example, “When you say slower, do you mean more relaxed or just actually slower?”

Never assume anything. No shame in asking lots of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment